Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stories of Salaf

"Whoever does not read the stories of the Salaf and the path that they tread, he can never tread that path. It is befitting for a person to know and understand that the nature of an individual (character) is a thief. If a person leaves his nature with the people of his time, his nature will steal from theirs and he will become similar to them. But if he reads into the lives of the Salaf his nature will join theirs and he will learn from their character…." Ibn al-Jawzi

1 comment:

  1. Ubayy bin Ka'b said, "I said, `O Messenger of Allah, I send a lot of Salah (prayers) upon you, how much of my prayer should be Salah (prayers for blessings upon Prophet Muhammad) [be] upon you' He said,

    «مَا شِئْت»

    (Whatever you want.) I said, `A quarter' He said,

    «مَا شِئْتَ، فَإِنْ زِدْتَ فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَك»

    (Whatever you want, but if you increase it, it will be better for you.) I said, `Half' He said,

    «مَا شِئْتَ، فَإِنْ زِدْتَ فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَك»

    (Whatever you want, but if you increase it, it will be better for you.) I said, `Two thirds' He said,

    «مَا شِئْتَ، فَإِنْ زِدْتَ فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَك»

    (Whatever you want, but if you increase it, it will be better for you.) I said, `Should I make my whole prayer for you' He said,

    «إِذَنْ تُكْفَى هَمُّكَ، وَيُغْفَرُ لَكَ ذَنْبُك»

    (This would be sufficient to relieve your distress and earn you forgiveness of your sins.)''

    [Sunan at-Tirmidhi]

    ReplyDelete