Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sadaqah Benefits The Dead

Abdullah bin 'Abbas (r.a.) narrates that Sa'ad bin 'Ubadah (r.a.)'s mother passed away during his absense. He asked the Prophet (s.a.w.) "O Allah's Messenger! My mother has passed away during my absence. Would it be of benefit to her if I give sadaqah on her behalf?" He (s.a.w.) replied, "Yes!" He said, "Be my witness then that I give my fruitful garden as sadaqah on her behalf." - Sahih al-Bukhari (115/2756)
Haafiz ibn al-Hajr al-Asqalaani said in Fath al-Baari, his Sharh of al-Bukhari:
(تُوُفِّيَتْ أُمّه وَهُوَ غَائِب عَنْهَا)
She was 'Amrah bint Mas'ud Ansaariyyah Khazrajiyyah. She accepted Islam & took oath of allegience & died in 5 A.H. The Prophet (s.a.w.) was out on an expedition and her son Sa'd bin 'Ubadah was accompanying him. when the Prophet (s.a.w.) returned from the expedition he prayed (the funeral prayer) on her grave.

2 comments:

  1. AA! Jazak Allah. That was a nice reminder. :)
    Btw, is Fath al-Bari available in English anywhere? I've been trying to track it down for a long while...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anas bin Malik and Abu Hurayrah narrated that the Messenger of Allah would say:

    Allahumma inni a’udhu bika min ‘ilmin la yanfa’ wa min qalbin ya yakhsha’ wa min du’a’in la yusma’ wa min nafsin la tashba’
    “O Allah! I seek refuge with You from knowledge that does not benefit, and from a heart that is not subdued and humble, and from a supplication that is not heard, and from a self that is not satisfied.”

    And he would then say: “O Allah! I seek refuge with You from these four things.”

    ReplyDelete